Below is a list of links to other websites which may be of interest. Please scroll down the page to find the information you require.
N.B. We try to ensure that this list of links is kept up to date as much as possible. However, it's a fact of life that website locations change without our being aware with the inevitable result that we end up with dead links on our own website. So, if you spot a dead link, please let us know!
Lochcarron - General Information
- Alex Ingram's excellent local interest site
Road Travel Information
- RAC Route Planner
- AA Route Planner
Air Travel Information
- Highlands & Islands Airports Limited - operators of Inverness Airport
- British Airways - with flights available to Inverness Airport.
- Easyjet - the web's favourite airline.
- Flybe - offering a wide choice of flights to Inverness.
- Scotrail - for rail travel information.
- Kyle of Lochalsh Railway - for information about the spectacular railway line from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh.
- Avis Car Rental
- Budget Car Hire
- Focus Vehicle Rental
- Hertz Car Rental
- National Car Rental
- Practical Car & Van Rental
- Thrifty Car & Van Rental
- Lochcarron Food Centre - well-stocked local Spar Shop. Will provide deliveries to holiday homes - more information .....
Places To Eat and Drink
- Lochcarron Hotel, Main Street, Lochcarron
- Kishorn Seafood Bar - fresh local seafood served in a superb location
- Bealach Café and Gallery - at the beginning of the road to Applecross
- Carron Restaurant - family-run restaurant on the south shore of Loch Carron
- The Applecross Inn - renowned for its superb seafood
- Applecross Walled Garden Restaurant - using produce fresh from the garden!
- Tigh an Eilean Hotel - "Taste of Scotland" recommended, in Shieldaig, just a few miles to the north of Lochcarron
Golf in Lochcarron and Neighbouring Areas
- Lochcarron Golf Club - our local 9-hole golf course situated just outside the village; has superb views; open to visitors.
- Gairloch Golf Club - occupies a fabulous location above a beautiful long sandy beach.
- Strathpeffer Spa Golf Club - Peter Allis has described the course as a jewel in the Highlands of Scotland.
- reached via the spectacular Bealach na Ba and the subject of Monty Halls' Great Escape on BBC2 recently.
- Mountain and Sea Guides - walking, climbing and kayaking.
- a neighbouring area to Lochcarron with spectacular mountain scenery. Very attractive to walkers and climbers.
Tours and Trips
- See The Highlands" - private guided taxi tours of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
- Glasgow Airport Millennium Taxis - authorised Glasgow Airport Taxis catering for business, single journeys, hotel and conference transfers. Tours throughout Scotland. Credit cards accepted, including American Express. Internet booking facility 24hrs 7days a week. Website includes links to Scottish accommodation, information and attractions, etc.
Diving and Boat Trips
- 5 Bells Diving - diver training and dive trips in some of the clearest waters around the UK. Run by experienced commercial diver who has been a PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) Staff Instructor since 2001.
- Calum's Seal Boat Trips - free if no seals!
- Torridon Sea Tours - boat trips departing from Shieldaig pier, including day trips to to the island of Rona.
- Seaprobe Atlantis - trips from Kyle of Lochalsh by glass-bottom boat, to see the hidden mysteries of the deep!
- Bella Jane - trips from Elgol on Skye to Loch Coruisk and also to the islands of Rhum and Canna.
- Mountain and Sea Guides - kayaking
Places of Interest
- Attadale Gardens - just across the water from Lochcarron.
- Beinn Eighe National Nature Reserve - Britain's first National Nature Reserve.
- Bright Water Visitor Centre - located in Kyleakin on Skye, just across the water from Kyle of Lochalsh. For information about the Eilean Ban Trust and Gavin Maxwell, and for Boat Trips.
- Dunvegan Castle - the ancestral home of the Clan MacLeod on the Isle of Skye, still in use today. The castle is open to visitors all year round - opening times are shown on the website.
- Eilean Donan Castle - the famous castle on Loch Duich which repeatedly appears in photos and film sequences. Open to visitors.
- Inverewe Gardens - despite being on a latitude more northerly than Moscow, these gardens are home to exotic plants from all over the world, courtesy of the warm currents of the Gulf Stream.
- Lochcarron Weavers - situated just beyond the far west end of Lochcarron village, the Weavers' shop has a wide range of tartans, luxury knitwear, kilts and tweed clothing.
- Shards Stained Glass - at Arrina on the Applecross coast road, about 10 miles from Shieldaig and 15 miles from Applecross. Manufacturers and suppliers of a unique and unusual range of stained glass suncatchers.
- Strome Castle - now just a ruin, having been blown up in 1602 during a clan feud, but has a superb position on a rocky promontory with views across to the Isle of Skye.
- Dalmore Distillery. - on the banks of the Cromarty Firth overlooking the Black Isle Its malt whisky has a characteristic full flavour and body, and a long lingering aftertaste. A classic Highland malt.
- Glenmorangie Distillery - at Tain, just south of the Dornoch Firth.
- Glen Ord Distillery - at Muir of Ord, just about the nearest distillery to Lochcarron.
- Loch Ewe Distillery - at Aultbea just to the north of Gairloch. Probably the smallest distillery you have ever visited!